Buying VS building in Baja California Sur
To build or not to build? That seems to be the question!
Owning a home is for many the culmination of a dream: to know that after the planning, saving and different options to choose from, your efforts are one step closer to reality.
Leaving aside the “dreamy” part, certain doubts arise: What is more convenient? Buying a house already built? Or should I find a lot and build upon my needs? What should I do?
Whether buying already built or building to your needs, it is important that your personal signature is visible in every corner of the house throughout art, colors and furniture… this is what ultimately turns a house, any house, into your home.
Here are some point to consider buying a ready built property:
1. Convenience. If you choose Mexico as your part-time lifestyle, consider choosing a house in our ready-built market and change/adapt it while you enjoy living on it.
2. Design. A house that has already been lived in was originally designed and thought for its owners, the new owners will need to adapt to the home or adapt the home to their needs; best option will always be whichever is more functional.
3. Cost efficient. Sometimes, remodeling a house or parts of a house that has most of the characteristics on your wish list can be a wise choice and mostly, it can be cost efficient.
4. Instant comfort. No matter what the original plan for owning your property was, if you choose an already built house, it must be comfortable for your everyday activities, functional to all its residents and must reflect your personality to truly make it home. This could be as simple as a paint job or as complex as a second-story addition.
5. Wow effect. Many homes are readily available for you to choose from; they may not be “exactly” what you were looking for but may have that that one aspect, that one wow factor worthy of your consideration. It could be the proximity to our beaches, markets, schools or workplace, or have that one perfect room worth transforming into a dream.
6. Green. If you are environmentally-friendly, the aspect of recycling a “used” house into your home promotes an important and respected benefit.
Buying a lot to build on.
The most important reason to build a house is to make it match one’s specific needs and desires, and if you aren’t finding what you want in the “ready built” market, building your own maybe the best option. Below are the pros of choosing your homesite to build on:
1. The future. As we grow older and evolve, our habits, customs and preferences deepen within our routine and our house must accommodate us, our family, friends and even pets. From small things such as which side of the bed is our favorite, if I want to wake with the first daylight, where we like to read, to relax, to enjoy a good movie… all these situations facilitate our routine, making our house an extension of our activities. It is the architect that must translate these feelings, needs and customs into a plan. His job is to interpret and sort out the technical and esthetics demands of the client.
2. Future savings. Another reason to build are the costs and saving one might have: when building a house, maintenance and improvements are not to be considered until years later; a new house should come with warranties and the utmost satisfaction of having everything brand new.
3. Location choice. You can decide on a flat lot, a gentle sloping terrain, an ocean or mountain view and if there are local materials to incorporate into the house to blend it perfectly with the surroundings.
4. Control. Most importantly, when building you will definitely know and control the quality of the materials for the final result. Although it can mean a considerate saving, ultimately it will depend on the finishes one chooses for the property.
Your Coldwell Banker Riveras Team of local real estate experts can assist you with either option! Whether you choose to explore the many houses available or the various lots or home sites, we will suggest the best options and direct you with renowned local architects that can help you and guide you throughout the planning of your choosing process, assuring you peace of mind.